BAKED EGGS with turkey bacon, green onions, and cheddar
SWEET POTATO HASH BROWNS
These make a fabulous combination. They taste like that great breakfast dinner food that we all love, but are a lot healthier. Plus, I just ordered my first set of ramekins and wanted to come up with something that wasn't dessert. I made this for my family this morning and topped the potatoes off with some homemade tartar sauce, and the eggs with a bit of avocado, but of course ketchup is acceptable as well!
Ingredients (for Baked Eggs with turkey bacon, green onions, and cheddar)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup green onions, chopped small
5 strips turkey bacon (personally I prefer it to regular bacon and it's a LOT healthier)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp. salt
dash of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cook bacon until it is crispy.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, green onions, salt, and pepper.
- Chop up bacon and place a fourth of it in the bottom of each ramekin.
- On top of the bacon place 1/8 cup of shredded cheese.
- Pour a fourth of the egg mixture in each ramekin.
- Place the ramekins in a baking dish and surround them with water a third of the baking dish full so that they get evenly baked.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the eggs are completely solid through when you stick a fork inside.
3 sweet potatoes (that's the more white colored ones--not yams)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and black pepper to your taste (I added 1/4 tsp. of salt and a generous dash of black pepper)
1/4 tsp. dried basil
Directions (for sweet potato hash browns)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Wash sweet potatoes, but do not peel them! The skin tastes good and has a lot of nutrients in it.
- Chop sweet potatoes into small cubes.
- Toss them with the remaining ingredients and place them in a baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 F. When they finish baking switch the oven over to broil and broil the potatoes for 2-4 minutes, or until they have crisped up.